It is completely normal for the cat's stomach and intestines to contain micro-organisms just like humans do but occasionally, some worm eggs and parasites can make their way into its digestive tracts. And these eggs hatch to give birth to more worms which eventually start to steal the nutrition ingested by your cat.
You need to know how to get rid of worms in cats. This is what's coming up:
- 1 Signs and Symptoms
- 2 Materials or Things You Will Require
- 3 Treatments
The eggs laid by the worms are shed by the cats in their faeces, spreading to other hosts in the process. And these can cause infections to the inhabitants of the house and affect even the entire neighbourhood, especially children. It takes around 7 to 8 months for the infected larvae to become adult heartworms. And while the chances of a pet to human infection are low, you do need to take care of your feline friend.
So it becomes essential to keep a look-out for symptoms and signs in your cats for worm infestation as not only does it prove harmful for your feline creature but also your own health. This guide is dedicated to all such cat owners who are worried about the infestation of worms in their pet cats and are looking for solutions.
Signs and Symptoms
If your kitten or cat gets infected, the chances of the worms being silent parasites are possible.
The cat does not show any signs or symptoms until the number of worms increases beyond the handling capacity of the host body. However, you might observe some particular symptoms of worm infestation like:
- Weight loss
- Difficulty in breathing
- Appearance of mucus or bright red blood in the stool
- Discomfort in the cat?s behaviour
- No increase in weight despite heavy eating
- Change in appetite
Now that you have learnt how to detect worm infestation in cats, it is time to talk about the treatment to provide them in such cases. Being a cat-owner myself, I understand the affectionate relationship between pets and their owners. It hurts to see your companion miserable during sickness as I have experienced too.
So, I researched about remedies for when my cat got infested by worms. And believe me, these remedies and treatments have proved extremely effective in removing the traces of worms from my cat. They will also work for your cat, and help it regain its health.
Mostly only three kinds of worms trouble your cats - tapeworms, roundworms and hookworms. The treatment required differs for each type of worm infestation and therefore it is recommended that you get your cat tested by a qualified vet first to know which worm has made its way to the cat's body and then apply correct treatment specified for removing that worm only.
Let us look at the materials or ingredients you will require to carry out the treatments that I will be prescribing below.
Materials or Things You Will Require
- Raw pumpkin seeds along with mortar and pestle
- Diatomaceous earth of food grade
- Litter scoop and bleach
- Fresh litter and disinfectants
- A little bit of garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- A dropper and a bunch of fresh parsley
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Turmeric powder (dried)
- Your kitty's favourite cat food.
Once you have gathered all the above-mentioned items, you can start the de-worming.
1. Treatment: Use Turmeric Powder
Turmeric is beneficial for both humans and animals alike. It is anti-inflammatory and contains up to four powerful parasite-combating agents in it.
Ingredients: Dried turmeric powder, your cat's favourite pet food (Wet)
- Add 1/8th teaspoon of turmeric powder to the wet cat food.
- Mix them well.
- Keep adding turmeric to your cat's diet at least once per day for up to 10-15 days.
2. Using Seed Extracts of Grapefruits
Grapefruit seed extract is highly anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic along with being a rich source of Vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
Ingredients: A jar of grapefruit seed extracts and a food processor (or mixer blender)
- Pound the seed extracts to a fine powder using a mixer blender or food processor.
- Mix it with the cat?s food - 8 mg for every 2.2 pounds of your cat?s weight - at least once every day.
- Repeat the process for at least two weeks.
3. Consuming Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Raw pumpkin has great anti-parasitic properties. It does not just kill the worms affecting your cat, but prevents their return keeping your cat healthy and happy.
Ingredients: A cup of raw pumpkin seeds, a mortar and pestle and your cat?s favourite pet food.
- Take some raw pumpkin seeds and clean them thoroughly.
- Pound the seeds into a fine powder using the mortar and pestle.
- Add 1 tsp of the powder to your cat's food once daily and stir well.
- Continue this process for around 3 weeks.
4. Using Diatomaceous Earth of Food Grading
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is a potent but soothing remedy for worm infestation in your cats. It combats both internal and external parasites.
Ingredients: 2 teaspoons of food grade diatomaceous earth and your cat's favourite pet food.
- Mix the Diatomaceous Earth into your cat?s kitty food (wet) once per day.
- Continue this treatment for at least a month
5. Parsley Water
Fresh parsley is diuretic and hence an effective de-wormer. It also contains a high level of nutrients and vitamins to keep your cat healthy during the infestation. The anti-oxidants present in it helps to detoxify your cat?s digestive system.
Ingredients: A bunch of fresh parsley of any kind, boiled water, a strainer and a storage container.
- Keep the parsley in boiled water for around 3 to 5 minutes and let it bubble.
- Remove the content from the gas and allow it to cool for some time.
- Strain out the parsley from the water and store it in a clean container.
- Keep the parsley water in the refrigerator for one to two weeks.
- Mix a half-tablespoon of the parsley water to your cat's drinking water once daily.
6. Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar and Garlic Powder
Garlic, as you know, possesses anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial properties. It is capable of removing any worm from your intestines when consumed regularly.
Ingredients: Apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, a dropper and your kitty's favourite pet food.
- Let your cat fast for one night before starting with the garlic powder treatment.
- Add 2 drops of apple cider vinegar in your cat's drink during the fast.
- Next morning onwards, mix garlic powder to their morning and evening meals.
- Continue this regimen for at least two to three weeks.
These are some of the most effective and powerful methods to remove worms from your cats. As these are all natural remedies, they also help in maintaining the required level of nutrition in your cat's body which tends to fall due to the presence of worms in their stomachs.
The parsley water and the garlic treatment work especially well, from my own experience. All these methods are useful however, and you can choose one according to your convenience.
I hope that this article proves helpful to you and you got what were looking for.